Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Quote


I've had a few people recently ask me about the title of my blog and the quote underneath it. For those of you who are too lazy to scroll on up and read it, it says, "When the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake." Plato said it. For those of you who aren't aware, Plato was a Greek philosppher who chilled out with Socrates and Aristotle. He basically laid out the foundations of Western philosophy.

I first read this quote in a book called Passion is a Fashion. It's a biography of The Clash. For those of you who don't know who The Clash is.....you know what, if you don't know who The Clash is we have bigger issues than a quote by Plato. Go get musically educated and then we'll talk. To everyone else: The Clash is one of my very favoritest bands in the world, not even just for their music, necessarily, but for the intensity and passion they displayed toward life and the issues they stood for. They truly changed things in their own right; changed whole crowds of people, one life at a time. They didn't stop because someone asked them to, they didn't sort of quietly state their opinions or slink around the walls when it came to world issues and they didn't play stupid, irrelevant music. The Clash meant something. They changed the mode of the music and they shook the walls of the city.

Here's where the quote and I become relevant. It's my dream to make a difference in the world. If I could do it through music I think my life would be complete. I want to change lives. I want to leave a lasting effect. I know I'm not gonna be here forever; my life is a fleeting moment, I am like the morning mist, gone before most people will even notice me. But if I can leave something behind, a legacy or even one changed life, then the fact that I won't last doesn't bother me so much. I wanna make the world a better place. I wanna right some wrong. I wanna rattle some people. I wanna change the mode of the music and make the walls of the city shake.

6 comments:

planned confusion said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
R said...

Wow, I'm impressed. Often when people use quotes their reason is just "I uh...liked it?", which is indescribably boring. So yeah, that was really interesting, thank you.

In other news, The Clash are awesome and the word hectic is pretty good too. I like "lingering" at the moment. =P

wakeskate said...

Hi Quinn,

Hope you are well!

I have a small organic t-shirt company, very small, just me... I've always loved " the quote" so I decided to produce a tee!

If you have a moment take a look!!!

http://www.pavementclothing.co.uk/products-page/

J

Rocanlover said...

WOW! You've got power in your words... you're going to change more lives than you think girl. seriously, you'll do.
i loved your style.

Samuel Etienne said...

Well, the exact citation from Plato is : "When modes of music change, of the State always change with them". (Republik, book 4)
and the one you use is an adaptation of Plato by Frank Zappa... but is still rules!

Dr. Guy Gordon said...

@Samuel Etienne: "exact citation"? You mean, exactly the words Plato wrote in English? :-)