Friday, November 19, 2010

It's All Happening

I'm so content. I have a tough job with a lot of new friends and an easy job with little to no socialization. I'm thinking about picking up a bunch of certifications so that wherever I am I'll be able to get a decent job. Bar tending is first on the list, cos, well, it's interesting and bar tenders make kick ass money. Second, I think is massage therapy. (I'm really good with my hands.) After that I'm not sure, maybe I'll pick up an in-home care certification or a sonogram tech program and probably some typing/filing courses to make myself more hireable in office assistant positions.

Mike is starting to look seriously at grad schools which is terribly exciting. I hope he gets in somewhere beautiful; Oregon or Colorado or California. Okay, maybe not California. Living there is very expensive. I have a friend who used to live there and she told me that an efficiency in the San Fransisco area would cost around $2000/month. Also, apparently school funding out there got cut outrageously, so higher education isn't all it could be elsewhere. (There's a lot to consider here.) Only one thing is sure right now: wherever Mike goes I'll be going with him.

So here's a scary thought. I know we're young and all, but after two years it's only natural for a couple to start talking about marriage. I mean, my mom and dad met and got married after 5 months. Okay, so that one didn't really work out (they split when I was 11 months old) but here's the humdinger: she married my stepfather after just 3 months of knowing him and they've been together for, like, 17 years (and are happy as ever). That in mind, I firmly believe that when you know, you know. And I also firmly believe that I definitely know when it comes to Mike. All that being said, we've talked about it and "assuming we're still together" (a phrase one must use to avoid jinxing a relationship) we want to get married the summer after his senior year, before we move away and all of our friends scatter to the ends of the earth to settle where they will. But weddings generally take a while to plan ( like a year) which, and here's where things get freaky, means we'd have to get engaged somewhere between the end of his junior year/beginning of senior year (that's...really soon). The whole thing isn't scary to me personally (Mike and I are amazing together/compliment each other/are in love/have no doubts about wanting to be with each other), but it's a tiny bit frightening from a social standpoint. What will our families think? (Well, I know what HIS family will think. His parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins all think he's wasting his time with me and that it's only a matter of time until he comes to his senses and dumps me) What will our friends think? (Honestly, they've probably been waiting for the news since senior year) Is it wise to get married when he's about to jump into grad school and a whole new world of debt? Are we too young? WILL HE EVEN LIKE THE WAY I WANT TO DECORATE THE HOUSE? (of course he will, I have impeccable taste!)

Okay, I'm actually not worrying at all, I'm mostly just bull shitting. If it's meant to happen it will, and plus there will always be another reason to not do something. What you have to remember at the end of the day is that there are still a million and a half reasons you should.





2 comments:

captain badger said...

ahhhh kid <3 beautiful western grad schools, yes please. I know there aren't that many big-deal schools in the Bay (which is why so many kids from there come to school in Boston, apparently) but Colorado is gorgeous, Oregon is gorgeous, ksdjfasdf.

re: reactions to you two kids getting married, YOUR FRIENDS WILL BE SO HAPPY. or at least this one will. <3

Эндий said...

or: there may be a million and a half reasons not to do something, but there is always one reason you should.
and THAT my dear, is the one worth doing it for.