Sunday, March 8, 2009

HEY YOU. YOU IN THE BLUE. This Is For You.


i thought you were pulling away.
i had no idea why.
that's not true, really.
i had some ideas formulated.
that conversation we had that day:
"if he hadn't been there would we...?"
i thought maybe that freaked you out.
or maybe you were backing off because of the sudden turn
that my life took later that night.
that night was weird.
if he hadn't been there,
who knows what would've happened.
maybe we woulda written a new song
for the band that might actually stand a chance.
maybe we woulda found something
that neither of us noticed before.
maybe listening to that song in the car
woulda meant more,
if we'd been alone.
but we weren't.
and that's fine by me-
i am so happy with where i am.
and it would've disappointed him so much.
i couldn't stand to disappoint him.
never ever.
you know that.
you told me you usually fly solo?
that's bull and we both know it.
one too many late night conversations
with tears and confessions for me to believe that one.
i won't press the issue though.
i'm open to discussion any time-
i love discussion, in fact.
i love picking your brain.
you gave me one of the best compliments i've ever gotten
talking about that book.
it surprised me.
it's still surprising me.
you're a disarming person,
and without question, i love you.

No comments: