Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Playlist Called "For You"...Dedicated to any who will listen


1. "The Way We Get By": Spoon
Spoon. I saw them live. Britt Daniel looked at me. It was heaven in a ninety degree parking lot.

2. "Shadow Stabbing": CAKE
"Adjectives on the typewriter, he moves his words like a prizefighter, the frenzied pace of the mind inside the cell..." My favourite CAKE song ever.

3. "Mexican Wine": Fountains of Wayne
This little tune goes on about ninety-eight percent of my mixes. It just feels right.

4. "Yellow Sun": The Raconteurs
It flows way too well after "Mexican Wine" for it not to be on here. And Jack White is win. I saw him live too.

5. "What Katie Did": The Libertines
Bouncy and so much fun to just kinda bop to. Also, I'm pretty sure this song was custom-written for my dear friend Katie Brown. Listen to the lyrics and tell me you disagree.

6. "Company Car": Switchfoot
"Mike was right when he said I'd put up a fight to be someone, a fight to be me." My little shout out to the kid who doesn't even read this blog, but who managed to get this song stuck in my head for days. "I like this song, it has my name in it--lalala--" I haven't been able to get that guitar riff out of my head since. Thanks, Mike.
7. "Pepper": Butthole Surfers
Just listen to it. It speaks for itself.

8. "Buddy Holly": Weezer
"Whee-oo, I look just like Buddy Holly. Oh-oh, and you're Mary Tyler Moore. I don't care what they say about us anyway, I don't care about that."

9. "Mercy": Duffy
This song. This girl's voice never ceases to astound me. I love it.

10. "Starlight": Muse
"You electrify my life, let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive." One of my favourite lyrics I've ever heard.
11. "Five Years": David Bowie
It's a song about how there's only five years left before all of earth is destroyed and everyone dies, so everyone has to seize the moment and do everything they've ever wanted to do. Ziggy Stardust knows where it's at...

12. "I Will Follow You Into the Dark": Death Cab For Cutie
One of the most beautiful songs to ever grace the earth with its presence. I love acoustic guitar.

13. "Asleep": The Smiths
Another one of the most beautiful songs ever. Featured in the marvelous novel The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

14. "Where Is My Mind?": The Pixies
Hands down, the best bit of soundtracking ever. If you know what I'm talking about, then...well, we probably shouldn't talk about it, should we?

3 comments:

planned confusion said...

no, we cannot talk about it. it would be breaking the rules love.

good playlist(;

disal
<33

ps. i'm listening to pepper RIGHT NOW!

captain badger said...

Britt Daniel is a sex god. I approve.

Star said...

The Perks of Being a Wallflower...
Such a wonderful book.
Charlie's CD has been one of my favorites for quite a while. I even made a copy for one of my good friends for her birthday. She said it was the best birthday gift she had gotten. :)